'A Day With Steve Collis' at my School in Sydney
Only read this if you live in Sydney or Australia - or are willing to travel!!
This is a guilty pleasure - instead of offering thorough practical training for a particular ICT in education skill, I'm just running a general 'Day with Steve Collis'.
The course is for educators, especially leaders or aspiring leaders.
The day will let me explore a variety of the 'best bits' of what I have to offer.
These 'best bits' will cluster around these core challenges I have faced since becoming a teacher:
1. How can I act effectively and make progress in my projects and ambitions when I am so busy I only get the top 5% of my to do list done and have creativity sapped out of me by relentless interruptions, deadlines, paperwork, etc.
2. Following on from #1 - how can I bring order to the chaotic information systems of my school? In my case, I get 80 emails a day. Many emails imply I should take action - but what action, and how do I remember it, and what if the sender is ambiguous? There is a method for bringing elegant, practical clarity to all this mess. I go home each day with Inbox at zero. We'll look at the method together!
3. Following on from #1 or #2 - how can I reduce cure work anxiety and nurture my energy levels, creativity, and optimism?
4. How do I create change-momentum in my school? How can I effectively catalyse transformed teacher practice? It is a rare visitor to my school who has not identified this as their number 1 question.
5. Following on from #3... How do I bring out the best in students and colleagues, especially if they are off-side, negative, or are feeding a collective culture of defeatism.
Now, I have not nailed these dilemmas quite yet, but I've made progress with a great deal of them, and I think I have a map for how to navigate the rest.
It's going to be pure indulgence having a full day on this stuff!
If you're interested, our first date is 1 April 2011 (no this is not a practical joke!). I am sure we will re-run the day in future too. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to book.
Our official advertisement and overview is here: http://scil.com.au/workshop/a-day-with-steve-collis
The page includes this ridiculous photo of me: (which nevertheless pretty much sums HappySteve up)